Foxvideo Productions

52Mbps to 143Mbps…. then back!

Every Sunday afternoon a local Chapel send me an mp3 audio file of their Sunday morning message to upload to their website, I usually give it a quick top and tail, apply a compressor, EQ it and then upload it, this Sunday turned out a bit different…..

Halfway through the upload RapidWeaver gave a “SSH couldn’t login” error, it’s happened before and a retry usually fixes it but not this time, I exported the site to a local folder and tried another FTP program, same error, a third FTP program also gave the error, as these were all FTP connections from Bookmarks I knew it wasn’t a login or password problem, looking at the Chapel website one whole page was now missing, not good!

My web host has a 365 day ‘Live Chat’ option for help so I contacted them, we went through all the usual questions they have to ask including ‘did I have the correct password?’, they were able to upload a file and strangely I was able to delete it remotely, as I was actually using ‘Live Chat’ and could delete files from their server it was only proving that my Broadband was working, the only other option they could suggest was that I use FileZilla which seemed strange as I already tried 3 different FTP programs, but I guess in an attempt to get me off Chat they gave me some options to try.

FileZilla downloaded but wouldn’t install, so I went back to my host and this time got a more helpful person who reset the Domain and said to allow 30 minutes before trying again. I then thought of trying some of my other domains and these all failed to upload, this gave me the first hint it might not be my web host but a BT problem and the first option with BT troubleshooting is a router reset, I turned it off and had a cup of tea.

10 minutes later, I reconnected the router and tried an upload - same SSH error! Using the BT Wholesale Speedtest website I got a download speed of 143Mbps, a 0 upload and a very long Ping test so I went digging into the router logs most of which I didn’t understand but I did see lots of error messages, back onto ‘Live Chat’ this time to BT.


sppedtest

A very helpful person understood the problem straight away and within seconds I could upload! Another BT Speedtest showed I was back to my normal 52Mbps download and 9Mbps upload speeds, a test with FTP and the Chapel’s missing files went back in seconds and the website was back to normal with the latest Sunday message, in all about 4 hours messing around and I still have no explanation as to the actual problem!

Like most websites, this site uses cookies to allow analysis of pages visited and to display videos.
To continue to use all the functions of this site please agree to the use of cookies. For more info please see our Privacy Page